Monday 18 August 2014

Venice 17th August

 The trip by ferry from Pula was easy. A quick check on the passport then boarding. The only aspect that was trying was the constant broadcast information sessions for the day trippers in multiple languages that droned on the whole time. I must be tired because they grated on my nerves. Russian, German, Polish, Italian, English. It was just as efficient at the Venice end and I was soon free to find my way.  Having been in Venice many years ago I was a bit intimidated by that task but my map turned out to be useful and I found my way to the Station and an info booth to find accommodation and the ticket for the next step to Turin. Piece of cake.

 With my confidence boosted I booked in to the hotel(€59 a night with breakfast, close to train for early departure). The room is uninspiring with only a view of the backs of houses and a single bed but it is adequate and staff are very nice and helpful.
Now I start exploring. I find my way to the Piazzo San Marco (filled with tourists naturally). I have passed numerous Murano glass shops and tourist shops but nothing appeals. I stop for an aperitivo at the famous Florian Cafe with its white jacket waiters and their musicians. This cafe was the haunt of Byron and other famous people and is an institution. You pay for the music and the history but the presentation of drink, aperitivo and a carafe of water with my toasted finger sandwiches and small plate of chips on a silver tray makes it seem worthwhile. Very elegant.
I join the queue for the bell tower which moves quickly. I wonder if anyone is really looking at Venice below because it seems that all they do is take photographs. I am guilty too but I do a tour again just to gaze un-interpreted by my camera. 

 

It is an amazing view and cold up here. The temperature in Venice is significantly cooler than Croatia. Venice is overrun by tourists with three large cruise ships in port as well as the rest of the world! I am not sure I have seen any Italians! As the evening closes in and I start my return to the hotel I am missing the liveliness of the Croatian towns at night.  Venice is behind closed doors it seems. The twists and turns of the alleys and canals reveal secret places but I feel like it is a movie set.  The Grand canal which was buzzing with boats is quiet. I am tired and footsore from wearing my dainty sandals. I buy yoghurt and cantaloupe for dinner and collapse in my room. I have been up since 5:00 am. I need a good nights sleep before catching the early train to Turin.  I am so ready to go home and excited to be only a few days away.  

No comments:

Post a Comment