Monday 18 August 2014

Turin 18th August

The train trip from Venice was fantastic. It stopped several times but I didn't have to make any changes. 2nd class was very comfy too and not packed with people like first. I saved €30 by taking that ticket. I rang the hotel for instructions on getting there but the reception omitted to say his directions were from the front exit of Torino Porto Nuovo not the side, so I found it necessary to ask directions from a passerby. I wasn't far out. After Jan tried to cancel this booking but was not able to I decided to take the four days as I am committed to fly from Turin airport to Madrid. Now I am really keen to go home it feels like I am just killing time. 
 

Turin is very grand. The buildings are quite lovely, not unlike Paris in their conformity of design but everything looks shabby and as if it needs a good scrub. There is a lot if tagging and bad graffiti around  which makes it seem rather depressed. It was 2:00 pm and the streets were empty. The reception says they have an afternoon break but come 7:00 pm I still didn't see too many people around. One sales assistant said it is the tourist part and locals are further out. It makes for a sombre feel. I could barely find a restaurant for dinner. It seems the locals do a kind of tapas and aperitifs between five and 8:00 pm. I found a place close to the hotel and had pasta for the first time in weeks.it was good.
I wandered down to the river Po which is wide and green and fast flowing. They have created a beach on the banks with sand and umbrellas and deck chairs which seems a fun thing to do but there was hardly anyone there. I feel like it is the end of the world almost.
I finally come across the grand street of colonnades. It is wide and truly elegant but no people. There are trams here but they don't seem full.  I found out that because of the Feast of Assuncion on the 15th August a lot of places are closed as well as it being holiday time for the locals. It is like Melbourne in January. That was a relief because I thought the place was in some sort of crisis.
Turin was an important town in Roman times and later it was the capital of United Italy. Power was signified by magnificent buildings. I came across the National Centre for Cinema which is housed in the most beautiful building. It is like a wedding cake. Just as I try to take a photo my camera battery fails.   I decide to visit the tower above the Museum and that gives a wonderful view of the city and its layout. The Dolomites loom large on the horizon and you can see to Lake Maggiore where Jan is. 
The Cinema museum was fantastic! They have the whole history of film making and photography as well as lots of film clips. Presently they have a special exhibition celebrating women Oscar winners. It was too much to take in in one day but well worth the money even so.
I was very tired from walking all day and my early start again! Tomorrow I will sleep in, perhaps. I wake at 6:00 am without trying still! Lights out at 11:00pm.
Still can't get the photos from the phone to transfer now. I think every device is too full!

 Towards the Palace Real

No comments:

Post a Comment