Sunday 3 August 2014

Hvar 30th July

This is the third attempt to publish my next instalment. I had nearly finished and I managed to clear all the writing! I am exasperated as I was on our first day in Hvar. It is a lovely sophisticated town with a  significant number of younger people, so it is a party town. We had booked a place supposedly overlooking the town but not far from the centre - about 250 metres. When we tried to find it we couldn't do so easily. It had no name on the building. I had to ask several people before I found the right place and then when we found it we were very disappointed. It was an unfinished house, no name on it and was a flat downstairs. It had no view which I had expected  from a 'terrace' room, and was not the three star standard and certainly was overpriced for what we were getting.  We expressed our disappointment and suggested he had misrepresented the apartment on booking.com and after much discussion we cancelled. While in discussion a cockroach ran under the bench! That did it for me. I offered to pay the cost of his commission to Booking.com but he was over us and waived cancellation fees.  I felt a bit distressed from the encounter and was not sure we wouldn't still pay for the cancelled accommodation and now new accommodation on top of that.
Hvar harbour fort behind on hill

We set off for the tourist information for a list of alternative accommodation. Jan preferred a hotel. As she sees it there is more quality control,  but it was the first place I ever found disappointing.
After the information centre gave us directions to a few hotels Jan set off to scout them out and I found a cafe with wifi to contact Booking.com. The day had cleared and it was hot. After clumping around I was dehydrated and a bit cranky.  It wasn't long after I sent my comments to booking.com that I received an email acknowledging the cancellation and that the owner had waived the fees. I was impressed with their support and his honesty. I hadn't wanted to insult him but it was not the standard described and was not appropriately priced.
Jan returned with two options that she had negotiated and wanted me to check out. I went off and looked at them both deciding on the hotel with two single beds and costing us each another € 30 each a day. It was a lovely place and way better than the other for not that much difference.
We spent a bit of time reviewing our future bookings and then went out to explore Hvar finally.
We signed up for two tours, getting a discount for booking two. One was an all day caves tour on a jet boat which was in place if our Split tour and a 4WD half day off road tour of the  island. With our next days planned we walked up to the fort. I needed some strong exercise to clear my head and settle my emotions after the morning disruption. The view from the fort was fantastic. It is very high above the town so a vast expanse of sea and islands can be seen.
We returned to town to look for a place for a drink and dinner. Jan likes to read every menu and look at what is being eaten. This takes a lot of time. Eventually we settle on a place for a drink. We get chatting to the people across the table. An Australian engineer working in Scotland and his Scottish wife who turns out to be a director of palliative care. She seemed so young  for the job but loved her work. They were great company but it is about 9:30 pm so we start looking for a place to eat. This search takes us round the point and finally I note when places start closing. It is past 10:00 pm and I am over looking for a restaurant and tell Jan the kitchen will be closing soon so if she wants to eat she better make up her mind. I'd be happy to give it a miss but we settle on this restaurant overlooking the sea. We want the fish on the menu outside but the price on the menu is dearer and when we query the reason the waiter says it is a mistake. We are a bit perplexed as to why the prices are different and he goes to ask if we can have the cheaper price. I am now annoyed and start to leave but he comes back and gives us the price. When the fish arrives it is a fillet not a whole fish that we have been watching being cooked. It comes with a paltry salad. It is okay but Jan says hers is not really fresh. As we finish our meal the sky starts to thunder and lightening flashes dramatically. We pay the bill which he reduces another 50 Kuna spontaneously ostensibly because we had to wait. The food was disappointing and we leave somewhat dissatisfied but we should have eaten earlier. People were still eating and arriving mind you.  As we walk back it starts to rain and then all the street lights go out! We are caught in a stream of people coming the opposite way and have to dodge each other in the pitch black. Then it really pours. In the end we are just laughing and running. What a day
At night on the waterfront before it rained, jumping.
 The hotel round the point

No comments:

Post a Comment