Wednesday 6 August 2014

Dubrovnik city tour


Did a walking tour this morning which was interesting. The damage done to the city during the 1991-2 siege of Dubrovnik was extensive. It is still a sore point for many people I think. The economy is not so strong and the history of Dubrovnik is of a rich independent republic. Tourism is the main industry now.
This us a map of the damage done by bombing, shrapnel and fires.
They have restored the city as close to original as possible using the same techniques and building materials. A cypress tree is being encouraged to continue growing out of the church. They grow slowly thank goodness.
  Statue of Roland
The Buza Bar outside the walls on the cliff side. Coolest place for swimming and drinking cocktails.
The only remaining Venetian style palace left standing after the 17th C earthquake that killed half the populTion and destroyed the town.
By the end of the tour we were hungry but before lunching we needed to shop. I needed so e cool flat comfy sandals and some sort of runners. Jan was enticed by MaxMara  50% off sale and I succumbed to a nice pair of linen pants. It is so hot and I don't have enough cool gear. I need to go home before I spend more! I am chockers in the backpack. Now I have 6 pairs of shoes Aargh! My white ecosystem gave me a blister last night when they have been well worn too. 
By now we are starving and Naned the most gorgeous hotel manager suggests Tabascos just outside the wall. It is a pizza place because Jan loves pizza. I insist we share this time instead of one each and she orders a delicious jumbo. It is HUGE and I am regretting this decision already. By the time we finish I am so full I  feel like a Phillip Island penguin returning  with food for the kids. I feel sleepy and uncomfortable. We decide to keep walking and visit the Rectors Palace Museum in an attempt to settle my pain. No tea tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment