Tuesday 12 August 2014

Return to Zadar

We hauled ourselves to the bus stop this morning to return to Zadar. I did ask a young couple if they were going our way would they give us a lift but they were going in the opposite direction. We saw a few buses go past before one stopped and he was just going to the next stop at the park entrance where we could get a connecting bus. He let us get on and not stow our luggage. We had an hour to wait bit that passed quickly and we were on our way. The scenery is quite lovely and we passed over a massive dam. This is the tourist road and it is very busy. We passed a car accident, head on into a bus! No bodies thank goodness. Soon we were back in Zadar and heading off to the tourist info for accommodation and booking a kayak trip for tomorrow. I go check the accommodation while Jan does the kayak booking. The room is actually an apartment and much bigger than we had before for half the price but no WiFi. It is right off the main square, so well situated. It is up two flights of stairs of course so I help the woman carry Jan's bag up. There is free wifi in square but it doesn't seem strong and I can't load anything or get my mail. 
We do a stroll and I am looking for a t shirt as I don't have enough cool tops for the hot weather and what I have is looking very tired after all the hand washing. I see.a really nice grey t shirt with 'addicted to shoes' on the front and I am sold also a pure cotton voile sleeveless shirt, black with small white stars, which is very reasonable and I am happy. This place is full of good pizzas but I restrain Jan to one slice each and a drink followed by ice cream so we aren't stuffed. We return to the apartment and Jan goes back to look at some clothes but I decide to take a nap before we hit the streets for some sightseeing again. We head to the waterfront where people are swimming, sun baking, playing water polo and generally enjoying the late afternoon sun and come across a fellow selling audio tours on a barque ( sailing ship) around the peninsula for 70 Kuna. I decide quickly and we are soon sailing along observing Zadar from the water. It is great. Well priced and interesting commentary as well as a unique view. It is also very relaxing on the water.
When we return we follow the music to a bar and order drinks and light snacks of bruschetta with truffles, mascapone and prosciutto for me and Jan has Tuna carpaccio. It was great because we didn't agonise over the menu as we usually do. I always decide quickly but Jan likes to read everything and then decide. We sit listening to the music till dark and the place is buzzing with buskers everywhere and people everywhere but a lovely laid back feeling. We watch the fire dancers, I buy a wooden frog for Ziggy but will get one for me too. You stroke their backs and they croak but they are all handmade wood frogs with different tones. Next it is the young guitarists (reminded me of Nick and Jonathan) who were so good and playing different blues music. We finally pay the 20 kunas to enter st Donats 9 th C church because they have a light show at night and we feel we are getting value for money. The church is Romanesque and round. Quit beautiful and unique. The light show with music is like a meditation. We are wandering and trying to decide on something else to eat or not when we come across a group of rap dancers. They are really good and one spins on his head which I find terrifying. They stand on their hands and have a great patter to entice the crowd to give money. I have given to every busker tonight because their standard is so high.
I keep losing Jan in the crowd but play my frog to let her know where I am. She has an ice-cream. I decide to have the apple back at the apartment. I am much happier now we are not trying to eat everything that she sees. It was too much food after I have been used to eating much less.
We are weary but feel we have had a great day with lots of variety. Our overnight buses are booked for Thursday night to Pula for me and 1:00 am to Split for Jan so we don't have to pay another night's accommodation here or Split. Jan leaves for Italy on the 15 th and I will continue to Pula, then Venice and onto Turin and home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment