Tuesday 19 August 2014

Turin 19th August

It is a bit rainy today. I stay inside to check flights and bank accounts, send emails to the family about my impending reurn. I have a FaceTime session with Jonathan and Ziggy who now actually calls me grandma! It souns so old to be grandma but no doubt after a day in that little live wires company I WILL feel like a grandma. 
My goal today is to visit the Palace complex. It is imposing from the outside but not outstanding however the inside is so grand it reminds me of Versailles somewhat.  The ceilings are so tall and completely decorated with frescos and  gold guilt. In fact guilt is the theme throughout. It is quie beautiful in an elaborate way. The armoury display has stuffed horses fully kitted out in medieval fighting gear which has much more significance to me now I am a Game of Thrones reader!  It is all impressive.
 
 
The palace was the home of the Savoys. They had a kingdom stretching to Sardinia and were aligned with Spain at one time. So many Kingdoms in Europe, which is hard to keep straight withou a map. No countries as we understand modern Europe- it was a game of thrones.
Lots more people around today and I fitted in coffee at an iconic cafe, Cafe Torino which has a golden bull set into the footpath outside the entrance. It is supposed to be lucky to stand on the bull's  bollocks so of course I did.  I wasn't the only one to do so either.
 


1 comment: