Thursday 21 August 2014

Turin 21st August

I solved some of my technology problems this morning and then decided to go to Palazzo Varenia Real  just on the outskirts of Turin. I took the local bus instead off the shuttle that apparently goes there too. Local bus was half the price but I needed to let the driver know where I was going. I didn't want a repeat of Superga where I missed the stop and had to go to the end of the line and back again about five stops! This time it was easy to see the destination straight ahead from the bus stop. I followed the signs to ticket office and Info. The shuttle bus was there before me but the queue moved quickly. I paid €25 to see everything and get discounts off food and activities but it didn't include the cost of the little train so I walked everywhere. It did include two exhibitions; one of photography and another of couture costumes for theatre productions.both were fantastic.

There is a musical fountain show in the entrance courtyard that was rather enchanting but hard to photograph. Should have used the video.
 

The palace was quite lovely especially the long room which was so light and almost frothy in decoration. This was a place for relaxing! The gardens were so extensive with swans and even gondoliers on the pond and canal. There were parterre gardens for flowers and vegetables as well as a wild wood for hunting. 

The church was built a little later but is of a Baroque style and impressive. It seems rather like the Basilica on the hill. 
There were massive stables and carriage cartouche (garages). It was very impressive and modelled on Versailles. I covered kilometres around the palace grounds and within the palace itself. I am tired tonight. 

I haven't been sleeping as soundly as usual. Probably excited about coming home.

No comments:

Post a Comment